Surgical Treatment of Zenker's Diverticulum
Media is any form of research output that is recorded and played. This is most commonly video, but can be audio or 3D representations.
The authors describe the case of a 64-year-old man presented with disfagia, weight loss, and halitosis over the last three years. The procedure is described step by step, and the postoperative outcome is showed. The patient is symptom-free two years after the surgery.
The aim of this video is to describe the anatomy and the procedure to medical students, residents, and thoracic surgeons with interest in this uncommon condition.
- Ferguson MK. Evolution of therapy for pharyngoesophageal (Zenker's) diverticulum. Ann Thorac Surg. 1991 May 1;51(5):848-852.
- Skinner DB, Altorki N, Ferguson M, Little AG. Zenker’s diverticulum: clinical features and surgical management. Dis Esophagus. 1988 Apr 1;1(1):19-22.
- Lerut T, Van Raemdonck D, Guelinckx P, Dom R, Geboes K. Zenker's diverticulum: Is a myotomy of the cricopharyngeus useful? How long should it be? Hepatogastroenterology. 1992 Apr 1;39(2):127-131.
- Lerut T, Van DR, Guelinckx P, Van PC, Gruwez JA, Dom R, et al. Pharyngo-oesophageal diverticulum (Zenker's). Clinical, therapeutic and morphological aspects. Acta Gastroenterol Belg. 1990;53(3):330-337.
- Lerut T, Coosemans W, Decaluwé H, Decker G, De PL, Nafteux P, et al. Zenker's diverticulum. Multimedia manual of cardiothoracic surgery: MMCTS. 2009 Jan;2009(224):mmcts-2007.
- Migliore M, Payne H, Jeyasingham K. Pathophysiologic basis for operation on Zenker's diverticulum. Ann Thorac Surg. 1994 Jun 1;57(6):1616-1620.
- Kużdżał J. ESTS textbook of thoracic Surgery. Cracow: Medycyna Praktyczna; 2014.