Surgery for Membranous Tracheomalacia: Tracheobronchoplasty
The objective of surgery was to stabilize and add rigidity to the
membranous wall of the trachea in order to prevent intrusion of the
membranous wall into the lumen of the airway.
surgery was performed through a right fourth intercostal space
thoracotomy. The posterior airway was fully exposed from the thoracic
inlet to the main bronchi after the azygos vein was transected. The
posterior wall of the trachea and both main bronchi were anchored to a
high-density polypropylene mesh (Marlex mesh; Marlex, C.R. Bard, Inc.,
Covington, GA, USA) with a series of four mattress sutures of 4-0
polydioxanone II, placed in a partial thickness fashion.
patient was discharged on the 10th postoperative day without
complications. One year after the operation, the patient presented with
significant symptomatic relief and improvement of her quality of life.
Surveillance bronchoscopies showed a stable membranous wall with no
intrusion into the lumen of the airway.
- Akgedik R, Karamanli H, Kizilirmak D, Kurt AB, Öztürk H, Yildirim BB, et al. Mounier-Kuhn syndrome (tracheo-bronchomegaly): An analysis of eleven cases. Clin Respir J. 2018;12:885–889.
- Gangadharan SP. Tracheobronchomalacia in adults. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 22(2), 165–173.
DD, Shah A, Gangadharan SP, Majid A, Michaud G, Herth F, et al. Airway
stenting and tracheobronchoplasty improve respiratory symptoms in
Mounier-Kuhn syndrome. Chest. 2011;140: 867–873.
- Mounier-Kuhn P. Dilatation de la trachea: constatation radiographiques et bronchoscopiques. Lyon Med. 1932; 150:106–109.
- Krustins E. Mounier-Kuhn syndrome: a systematic analysis of 128 cases published within last 25 years. Clin Respir J. 2016;10:3–10.
- Buitrago DH, Wilson JL, Parikh M, Majid A, Gangadharan S. Current concepts in severe adult tracheobronchomalacia: evaluation and treatment. J Thorac Dis. 2017;9:E57–66.