Robotic Left Lower Lobe Split Lateral (S9) and Posterior (S10) Basal Bisegmentectomy
The authors present the case of a 63-year-old patient with an 11 mm nodule in the posterobasal segment (S10) of the left lower lobe. This grew from an initial size of 8 mm over a 12-month period. Image-guided biopsy was rejected, and after a multidisciplinary meeting discussion and with further discussion with the patient, a segmentectomy for diagnosis and potential treatment was planned. The tumor location and the lung anatomy on the CT scan were carefully reviewed and a combined S9+S10 bisegmentectomy was planned.
- Suzuki K, Saji H, Aokage K, Watanabe S, Okada M, Mizusawa J, et al. Comparison of pulmonary segmentectomy and lobectomy: Safety results of a randomized trial. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019;158(3):895-907.
- Nomori H, Mori T, Ikeda K, Yoshimoto K, Iyama K, Suzuki M. Segmentectomy for selected cT1N0M0 non-small cell lung cancer: a prospective study at a single institute. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012;144(1):87-93.
- Liang H, Liang W, Zhao L, Chen D, Zhang J, Zhang Y, et al. Robotic versus video-assisted lobectomy/segmentectomy for lung cancer: a meta-analysis. Ann Thorac Surg. 2018;268(2):254-259.
- Wei B, Cerfolio RJ. Robotic lobectomy and segmentectomy: technical details and results. Surg Clin North Am. 2017;97(4):771-782.
- Chen R, Ma Y, Li C, Li Y, Yang B, Guo A, et al. A pilot study of pulmonary segmentectomy with indocyanine green near-infrared angiography. Surg Innov. 2019;26(3):337-343.